Monday, July 20, 2015

Styling Pearl's Wig


Now that I am satisfied the the dye job for Pearl's wig, it's time for the worst part: styling.

Here's what you will need:
Felt, got2b freezing spray and ultra glued styling gel, floral cone, tacky glue or fabri-tac, hot glue gun, xacto knife/box cutter/scissors, sandpaper (not pictured here), hair clips

First off you will want to add some extra wefts to the bottom and top of the wig, because the Lace Mimi isn't quite full enough! Sewing the extra wefts at the bottom will help cover up more of your own hair, since the wig will be gravity defying, and since my hair is dark is likes to peak out of the bottom and is very noticeable! 



There are several tutorials I found about using foam cores as a base to style these gravity defying hairstyles, and I decided to go with a floral cone wrapped in felt as my base. I started by carving the cone into the size and shape that I wanted. Once the basic shape was determined, I began hollowing out the middle just a bit to get rid of unnecessary weight. I used a low grit sandpaper to smooth it out afterward.


Then use a piece of felt that is close to or lighter than the color of your wig. I just went with a very light peachy color.


Now that the floral cone is covered in felt, start covering it in wefts but taking a small section and gluing it down with tacky glue, fabri-tac, or hot glue.

Glue wefts to inside with hot glue and work on section at a time
Should look like this in the end once covered in wefts


Once you have your cone all covered in wefts (note, it doesn't have to be perfectly covered, since it will be covered up more anyway!) it's time to attach the cone to your wig. I used safety pins to test out exactly where I wanted to cone and had to re-position it several times, because once the wig is on your head the position of the cone will change slightly, so it's good to do a lot of test fittings before sewing your cone into the wig! But once you've found that sweet spot, use embroidery floss (all I had was yellow, it's best to use a color closest to your wig!) and a curved needle to sew it on. 
 
Sewing the cone to the wig 



Once the cone is nicely attached (I sewed it on the top, bottom and sides, so 4 stitches in all!) you can very slowly begin covering it with hair and spraying it in place with the got2b freezing spray as you go!

Shaping the hair around the cone
Using clip to keep hair in place while spraying


This part is very tedious so be very patient! I am actually in the midst of redoing mine because I forgot to sew in the wefts before I began, so I will have more updates on the process soon! Feel free to ask questions in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment